Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Announcing -- What is it? Wednesdays

I keep coming across strange and wonderful items that make me wonder why we held onto them because I can imagine no earthly function for them. So once a week, I am going to post a picture of the weirdest thing we uncover during the week. Maybe others will be able to figure out what-it-is and why-we-kept-it better than I can.

Although today is Wednesday, I do not have a what-is-it tonight. Instead I have a who-is-it. Actually, I know who is in this picture, and at least two of the people who read this blog on a regular basis should also know. But finding this picture was kind of strange and wonderful:

The Drama Queen, who has 25 boxes of her own to sort through, decided that one particular box was not full of her stuff as we had thought. Instead it was mostly full of old clothes of an indeterminate nature, which had apparently at some point been used as a cat bed. So I told her to just dump the contents of the box into a trash bag.

As the dumping was going on, we realized that there were non-clothing objects in the bag. There was a very nice vase, a Nambe bowl, and that picture. Still an odd assortment of items.

I got through four of my own boxes today, as evidenced by the number tags I removed from the boxes:

Lots of mysteries by women writers -- Ngaio Marsh, Ruth Rendell, Jane Langton, Josephine Tey, Martha Grimes -- so that was pretty cool. And lots of science fiction, some of which I haven't read yet. And -- even cooler, in some ways -- plenty of books that we probably won't care to move, so they can find new homes before we leave Dodge.

There are several (okay, 5 or 6) boxes of books that we have no further use for, plus a couple more that everyone in the house needs to go through to make sure that they don't want to keep something that I'm not interested in. And one box that is chock-full of Games Magazines and their erstwhile companion publication The Four-Star Puzzler. We subscribed to this magazine for years and only recently came to the realization that there wasn't much point in continuing to subscribe because we have more unfinished puzzles in the magazines already in the house than we will ever have time to solve. And this box was the proof -- I didn't count, but my guess is that there is a decade's worth of Games, plus the entire 4- or 5- year run of the Puzzler in that box.

I put it aside to think about on another day.

I didn't get much knitting done today because Sports Nut wanted to watch football bowl games. I usually knit while watching TV and I didn't want to watch football, so there you go. I worked some more on the pouch for the Wallaby:

Because I am really not the type to bring in the New Year with a loud party, tomorrow is going to be a movie marathon and finger-food day. I should have plenty of time to knit.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the picture. Got one just like it. He was a snappy dresser with Ties I liked wearing whenever I needed one.

    Who she really was is more a an enigma for me since I was young when she died, I never had deep conversations with her.

    I will look forward to What is it Wednesday. You gave me a What is it once. I will look around and see if I still have it.

    ReplyDelete