Monday, January 18, 2010

Spent MLK Day at Home Doing Stuff, as usual

I worked on all those piles today, but there is still stuff to go through so I'm not going to count that as done. Besides, while dealing with piles that accumulate on CFSs (convenient flat surfaces) is definitely decrapification, I'm not sure how much it helps toward the goal of leaving Dodge.

I did accomplish one minor task, however, which may have saved me a bit of money. I have wanted a good light to have by the chair I sit in while knitting and watching TV. Some time ago, the Wizard bought one for me but when he tried to put it together, it broke. (Looks like a manufacturing problem, not a klutz issue.) Unfortunately, we didn't send it back right away and it has been gathering dust for quite a while.

This weekend I took matters -- and some metal rods and some duct tape -- into my own hands and made the lamp usable, if not aesthetically pleasing.

In order to up the aesthetic quotient, I used the tie-dye duct tape I bought a while back. This is one of those things that is Good Enough. A new lamp, even at 50% off, would have been $85. With any luck, the duct tape will hold until we are ready to get out of Dodge for good.

I did manage to get some knitting in on Future Vet's sweater, but the progress doesn't look like much yet. Maybe tomorrow. I'm getting together with some friends to knit and schmooze.

No comments:

Post a Comment