Sunday, January 3, 2010

Books, Boxes, and the Convenient Flat Surface

As of last Wednesday, I had gone through boxes 37 through 21. As of tonight, I have no new progress on boxes to report. Yes, folks, the count of boxes in the front hall still stands at 20:

What really struck me about this assortment of 20 boxes, however, is that the top of these boxes has become a CFS -- a convenient flat surface -- and has collected its own pile of stuff. Books, items of clothing, a purse, some boxes. My father, who first noted and named the phenomenom of the CFS (at least as far as I know), opined that a CFS will attract objects all by itself without any help or interference from human beings. I have no reason to doubt his observations.

One reason I have not opened any more boxes is that Certain Members of this family still have to go through some books from previous boxes. I don't see much point in creating new piles until the old piles are dealt with. Soooo.... Certain Members of the family -- does this look familiar?

Those are the books I asked each of you to look through before I gave them away or otherwise disposed of them. You know where they are. You know who you are. Do the math.

Even though I myself did not go through any more boxes over the longish weekend, the Drama Queen did dramatically reduce the number of boxes in the hallway outside her door. She is down to one box, some assorted pictures, and some other detritus:

Any day now, we should be able to walk down that hallway again.

In knitting news, I put aside the larger rainbow-striped Wallaby because on Friday, Future Vet asked me to knit him a sweater and could-I-please-finish-before-he-goes-back-to-school-in-two-weeks? Oh, yeah, sure, no problem. Only thing is, I had been making the smallest adult size sweater and now I'm making the largest adult size sweater. Plus some. When I measured Future Vet's arms, they were about 3 inches longer than the sleeve length in the instructions. Whatever. By dint of knitting almost nonstop today, I finished the first of two sleeves for FV's sweater:

Twelve more days to finish the whole thing.

Odd. There was just a loud thump and lots of CATerwauling from the upper reaches of the house. Woke up the dogs, who now think they should go upstairs and police the cat action. It's obviously time to settle down everyone and put them to bed for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment