Thursday, May 6, 2010

Knit Happens

For the first time in a long time, I only have one current knitting project. I promised Sports Nut that I would finish his blanket after I got done with all the Wallabys and, so far, I have stuck to that instead of starting something new. Like all of the blankets I have made for the offspring, I started off not really knowing where I was going. I wanted to try knitting on the diagonal, which was fun. However, I made a small but telling error on the first piece and ended up with a diamond shape instead of a square.

Okay, what could I do with that? I came up with this idea, of putting the diamonds together to make a star-shaped afghan/blanket:
Having finished one diamond, I had 5 more to knit. As of today, I have finished 3 of the diamonds and am plugging away on the fourth. Once they are assembled, Sports Nut and I will decide whether I should fill in the areas between the points of the star.
You can't see the full scope of the finished pieces in this picture because the diamonds are over 4 feet long from top to bottom. This is going to be a fairly large blanket when it's done.

My primary knitting time is during Red Sox games on television (Fenway Park being too far away from Dodge), so I thought I would set a baseball-related goal for the completion of this blanket. Here it is: I am going to finish this blanket before the MLB All Star Game on July 13. That gives me a little over two months.

Although I am being monogamous with my knitting project right now, I have some sock yarn on order.

No comments:

Post a Comment