Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday's Box Count -- 22 (sort of)

If I'm going to go through 50 boxes this week, I figure that means about 10 boxes a day, right? So I dragged out 10 boxes from the garage this morning.
These were boxes close to the front, therefore put out into the garage recently, and I knew that most of them contained kitchen stuff that I need to save for the young people who are planning to move out and/or items that I had intended to list on Freecycle. In other words, I planned for an easy day.

To my surprise, the first box I opened had a really odd assortment of things.
Starting in the top left corner and moving clockwise:
-- 3 bottles of Peacock Blue ink for fountain pens (I used to write exclusively with that color. When I was in high school. Decades ago.)
-- A Cross fountain pen (??), which cannot be used with the fountain pen ink
-- two screwdrivers, which have been returned to the tool box
-- some dice (again, ??)
-- lenses and prisms, presumably from studying optics during our homeschooling days
-- a pretty glass bead-y type thing (yet another ??)
-- a patch from a Boy Scout conclave that Media Guy attended in 1998
-- a kazoo from the Kazoo Factory and Museum (at least I remember going there!)
-- a tape measure from the MA Forestry Service (I have a pretty good idea of who and when, but no idea why)
-- the combination lock that I used on my locker in high school (I know this because it opened to my high school locker's combination -- 28-18-10 -- and don't ask why or how I remember that)
-- a baggie with some strange plastic things (Sports Nut said it looked like hardware for a baby gate, and I agreed, but the baby gate in question is long gone so I threw them out)
-- a very short slide rule (the young people who were in the house today were all unable to figure out what it was, and were likewise unimpressed when I showed them how to use it)
-- some 34-cent stamps (how long ago were those used for first-class postage?)
-- a table-top "football"
-- and last, but not least, a hand-held black light, useful for finding animal stains

So there I am staring at all this stuff and wondering not only how in the world it all ended up in a box together, but also what I was going to do with it. As noted above, some was put into proper places, some was thrown away ... and some will be offered up to the gods of Freecycle.

Since I didn't have much else to do today, after I went through the first 10 boxes, I kept going out to the garage and getting more boxes. The total for the day is 22 boxes!

But.....
6 of those boxes are full of books that I am holding off on dealing with until we arrive at Book Week.
1 box has kitchen things in it and has been set aside in Future Vet's bedroom
1 box became a holding places for various items that the Wizard has to look at
1 box has bank statements and check registers, etc., to file
7 boxes have stuff for Freecycle

However .... if we have all done our arithmetic correctly, that means that 6 boxes were emptied. Hooray!

The garage actually is a little less empty than this picture indicates because this picture was taken after the initial 10 boxes were removed and I am far too lazy to go out there right now and take another picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment