Thursday, November 12, 2009

Not as much progres as I would like

This is going to be the only post this week. I really had intended to keep up the daily Monday through Thursday posts this week, but very early Monday morning I went downstairs wearing slippers to let some very noisy dogs in the house and shut them into their crates. And on my way back upstairs, I tripped over my feet, or my slippers, and landed hard on the tile floor with both knees. Just for good luck, I also hit my head on the wall.

Monday I mostly sat around feeling sorry for myself with heating pads and hot tea and kitty cats. Tuesday I still didn't feel like running up and down the stairs all day, but I got a few things done downstairs. Wednesday the bruises were starting to develop -- very nice ones, at that -- but I got more done. And today, I actually finished about half of what I had wanted to get done this week in terms of clearing out boxes, plus I worked on a much more sedentary project that has been on the back burner for months -- switching our DVD collection from the usual large plastic cases to the slim cases. That frees up a lot of shelf space, as has been touched on in the past.

The bedroom upstairs, though, is pretty much cleared out. No more boxes and bins, except for the yarn stash. And even the yarn stash is now sorted out by type of fiber or yarn weight or projects, and it's all in nice neat plastic bins. Take a look:

 No boxes, just a couple of cats. And here's the other side of the room, with the yarn all nicely sorted and put into see-through bins.

That white drawer unit in the middle foreground is sewing stuff. It's still up here because the sewing machine is still upstairs. When I move the sewing stuff back downstairs, those drawers will be gone as well.

The balcony is pretty much done as well, even though I did that over the weekend.

The box in the corner has the new cushion for the papa-san chair. I don't see much point in actually using it with winter coming on. The cats are enjoying sitting in the chairs and being able to walk around without bits and pieces of things falling on them. And all the k'nex pieces are in those drawers:

We (or the kids who want to use them) can bring in one or two drawers at a time if it gets too cold to build things on the balcony.

Now, anyone who knows me at all knows that when I clear things out, there are inevitably periods of (mostly temporary) chaos. The boxes and bins that were up in the bedroom at the end of last week are, unfortunately, still with me for the most part. I just didn't have the energy to go through all of them this week. However, I did move them downstairs -- that's why they are no longer cluttering up the bedroom.

Most are in the living room.

Some are in the hall:

And just to prove I actually did clear out stuff this week -- those three boxes on top of the plastic bins in the hall are all empty. And there's another pile of empty containers at the foot of the stairs:

In addition to all that, I freecycled a whole pile of things -- some of it on the large side, like some queen-size air mattresses. And I gave an entire bin and several boxes full of art supplies and other stuff to a friend whose children are still young enough to enjoy them. So the great work of whittling down the STUFF so we have less to move when we leave Dodge continues.

1 comment:

  1. Great job. I can't wait to see you tackle the storage unit. You need to hermetically seal yourself though. How much can your body take?

    ReplyDelete