Thursday, November 5, 2009

Again, I make progress

Yesterday, I had sorted a bunch of bins and things into various piles like fabric, yarn, crafts stuff, miscellaneous crap, and so on. Today I opened the drawers under my desk and found even more yarn:


And then, in the family room where I sit and knit while watching television, I found even more yarn, though most of this is for current projects.

Sports Nut's 'college' blanket is but one of these projects. I've completed 2 of the 6 diamond shapes that are going to make up this blanket. When I started these pieces, I actually thought they were going to be a slightly different shape, but what the hey? I think this is going to work. The variegated and solid pieces will alternate and then I'll fill in the tops of the diamonds with off-white pieces:

While I was tossing Sport Nut's blanket pieces down onto the floor to photograph them, I noticed even more yarn -- this time, some stuff that the Drama Queen stuck in my cart when I was looking for those size 4 knitting needles yesterday.

Is there no end to the yarn in this house? I piled up all the yarn I found in all these various venues in one place and it makes a pretty impressive pile. And you know what I am pledged to do with piles, right?

It was obviously time to go outside and do something else instead of figuring out where to put all that yarn. So the Sports Nut and I decided to take down our sukkah frame:

and store it:

Sukkot has been over for about 4 weeks, after all. And we've had a hard freeze and snow since then.

But wait -- there's more!

I went upstairs to my bedroom, determined to finally whip it into shape, but keeping in mind all that unanticipated yarn I had found downstairs. I put a bunch of bedding and pillows into big bins for storage. The bedding mostly belongs to Media Guy, but he didn't take it with him to college, so it's going into Future Vet's room for the foreseeable future.

The pillows are from the chairs out on the balcony. With colder and wetter weather coming, I didn't want them out there, so I put them in a bin. Then I put the bin out on the balcony because there really isn't another space for it other than the storage locker, which I am trying to empty. So they are out there and will get cold, but at least they shouldn't get wet.

I moved all the bins with fabric and t-shirt logos for mythical t-shirt quilts back into the closet. I shoved the dozen or so duffle bags I had pulled out of the closet into one of the suitcases we store there. I was on a roll! And here's the result:

You will note that it is sort of possible to walk into the closet right now. That means there is still room to shove more crap in! (I really don't like walk-in closets.)

Speaking of closets, I was messing around in the regular (non walk-in) closets and noticed something interesting. Take a look at the floor of the Wizard's closet:

And now look at the floor of my closet:

Just to be perfectly clear, my Crocs are usually kept downstairs and the slippers are usually next to my bed. I had to add pairs of footwear to that closet to get that many in there. I don't want to ever hear any remarks about how women have more shoes than men!

And just think, none of that was the main project for the day. The object was to clean up the area in front of the bookshelves of that enormous pile of boxes. Take a look:

Not bad, huh?

And then I had space for the orange chairs. Yes, I know they are ratty, but we've had them for 24 years through 4 children and innumerable cats. They are quite comfortable and only those we allow into the bedroom can see them. And trust me, they will not be coming with us when we leave Dodge.

At this point, you are probalby wondering where all that yarn went. The yarn that was up in the bedroom, the yarn that was downstairs, the yarn that was hidden in the cracks and crevices of the house. Well, here's where it ended up:

I was supposed to get an empty bedroom for a crafts room once the two younger boys went away to college. Obviously, that didn't happen. Fortunately, my bedroom is large. Or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it.

So, it's not perfect. But it's a whole lot better than it was.

Here's the final look. From the middle to the back:

From the middle to the front:

And, oh yeah, the rest of the stuff. The stuff I had no more room or time to deal with today. It's still there as well, hiding behind me as I took the first two pictures. So here's the view behind:

Next week -- the rest of those bins and boxes. I shall overcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment