Thursday, April 7, 2011

Some of the Crap

That title feels like it ought to have more. Some of the crap some of the time, maybe?

I am not going to post a picture of what the garage looks like right now because it doesn't look significantly different than it did yesterday. Today was grocery-shopping day and laundry day and having people pick up Freecycle stuff day and, as a consequence, I didn't take a whole lot out of the garage. But I did find some interesting things, which I have decided to share with all my loyal readers.

There was a definite sports theme among today's finds. For example, a back stop.
Our Pesach groceries can be seen hiding discreetly behind the mesh. No doubt they are unaware that the mesh allows them to be clearly seen. No doubt.

In keeping with the baseball motif, there were no less than three (count 'em -- 3!) baseball equipment bags out there. In the event of a zombie invasion, we have enough baseball bats to equip a small army.
The next item I located deserves a little bit of explanation. One of our kittens is a thief. All is well; she is named after the thief Parker, who is played by the delightful Beth Reisgraf in the television show Leverage. Our Parker was actually named after the other Parker before we realized she was a thief. Life imitates art, as they say.

Anyway, our Parker has been going out to the garage for months and coming back in with marbles. One at a time, she has transferred an impressive number of marbles into the house, which we try to collect and put into this pitcher before anyone has a chance to slip and fall on a marble.
We sort of knew that there was a bag in the garage containing the Wizard's marbles. (No, the Wizard has not lost his marbles; they have been in the garage all this time.) We figured that Parker had found the Secret Stash of Marbles. And within the last week, we finally managed to get to the back wall of the garage and uncover Parker's marble warehouse. And some baseball gloves (the sports them was not yet done).
We brought the marble bag into the house briefly, but then we realized that we were spoiling Parker's fun. So the bag is back out on the shelf and Parker is once again bringing in marbles one at a time. We figure when the pitcher is full and the bag is empty, we can transfer the marbles back to the bag and let her start all over again.

I mentioned that Sports Nut and I had been bringing stuff in from the garage. Today I took a good look at the pile of stuff we had brought in. These items will form the next round of Freecycle offers.
Super Soakers! A lamp! A lap desk! Light bulbs! I can't stop to think about it because the variety and number of things out there is just too overwhelming.

And here's another item I found in the garage today. I set it up and immediately had an opponent.
Puck has decided to take the white pieces and is contemplating his opening gambit. Meanwhile I am wondering where and when we acquired this chess set. Not to mention why. Maybe it was a gift. Now I have to decide whether to keep this chess set or the wooden set we've had for years. Decisions, decisions.

I mentioned that it was laundry day. Among other things, I stripped everything off the bed and remade it. It's a good thing, though, that we have two complete sets of bedding. I had planned to wash the mattress pad from the bed, but every time I thought about putting into the washer, it was in use.
This was the only time all five kittens were on top of the mattress cover. Most of the day there had been at least one kitten underneath or inside. Mighty battles were fought. Now that all the kittens are shut up upstairs waiting for their dinner, I'm contemplating tossing the mattress cover into the washer. By the way, Parker is the all-gray kitten in the upper left.

Last, but not least, the remainder of the 20 or so boxes of homeschooling materials that I still had in the house left today. Most went to a couple of homeschooling coops that run resource centers. May they all use them in good health. And I'll enjoy the empty space where they used to be.

1 comment: