Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Getting Back on Track

It must be April -- we are looking at the yard and thinking about planting things. We bought a pear sapling the other day and then read the instructions (which is, as we all know, something that you do when all else fails....). Anyway, turns out that our pear tree is a cross-pollinator so we had to go and buy a second pear sapling. (See how well I am resisting calling these pear plant-things "twigs"? That's probably what killed last year's pear plant-thing. It didn't like being called a twig.)

Since the plastic edging we tried putting around the fruit trees last year suffered from a plague of dogs and small children, this year we decided to go with a brick edging that (we hope) will be harder to dislodge.
Not the greatest picture, I know, but the light was all wrong. I will try to get a better picture in a few days.

We also have brick edging for the two apple trees, which are in full bloom!
I can't tell you how excited I am about all the apple blossoms. And the peach blossoms!
The weather seems to be staying clear. We may actually get fruit from these trees this year. Last year, as you probably don't recall, an unfortunate hail storm took out our entire peach crop. And from the two apple trees, we got a total of 3 apples. Nevertheless, I patiently watered all three fruit trees (as well as the unfortunate pear twig) last year and it seems to have paid off.

Okay, enough about the fruit trees. I am sure you are dying to know what's going on in the garage. Well, progress has been made but it's mostly invisible.
Some of the detritus on the floor has been picked up, but it doesn't look much different, does it? Thing is, I emptied some plastic bins (like those with the blue lids you can see here) that had been packed up before Pesach. And I brought a bunch of our regular meat dishes back into the house.

And I grabbed two bags of things to sort through. One turned out to be magnets, coupons, and other various things that we generally keep on the refrigerator door and take off every year for Pesach so that we can clean the door. So I put them back.
As you can see, the Bruins are still playing and baseball season has started. The Patriots have been relegated to the lower door until football starts again in the fall.

Beyond that, one bag had a bunch of used cell phones and chargers. Those will go to one of the many worthy recycling programs in and around Dodge. The other bag had a box full of receipts. In my new spirit of not putting things aside to deal with later, I consulted with the Wizard and we decided on a system to handle receipts. That left me to sort out the receipts into various categories like "shred now" and "check against credit card statements before shredding". There's probably another category there, but it's been a long day.

Speaking of days, it's Wednesday, so here's this week's "what is it?", pulled out of one of the bags I brought in from the garage today.
As usual, I know exactly what this is. It's a trophy I received in a piano competition run by the Louisiana Federation of Music Clubs in either 1969 or 1970. Not one of the top trophies, obviously, since I didn't rate a name or a year. Yet another strange little thing I have been carrying around for 40 years for no particular reason. And today, I decided to carry it around no longer. By the time we leave Dodge, this little memento will be trash -- or someone else's problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment